Start Your Day With These Breakfast Superfoods
Your morning meal can set the tone for what you eat and how good you feel for the remainder of the day. In general, the best breakfasts have three core elements: protein, fiber, and healthy fats. This power combo can help keep cravings at bay, regulate mood and keep you feeling full and energized until your next meal.
While no one food (or meal) can reverse all the damage caused by substance abuse, certain foods can help your body repair faster. Here are a few superfoods to add to your recovery breakfast:
Citrus fruit: Vitamin C-rich fruits like lemons, limes, and oranges can help flush out any toxins and cleanse the liver. Slice some up and toss them into a tall glass of ice water to start your day.
Yogurt: You likely already know that drugs and alcohol can take a toll on your stomach. Yogurt, with its gut-friendly probiotics or “healthy bacteria” can help improve your digestive health. What’s more, some studies show that probiotics can have a powerful impact on your brain and mood.
Oatmeal: It’s quick, easy, inexpensive and full of the following nutrients:
- Omega-3 fatty acids
Plus, a steaming bowl of oatmeal has been study-proven to lower levels of LDL (or bad) cholesterol.
Eggs: One little egg is packed with several vitamins essential to your recovery and overall health, including:
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin): helps support cell growth and regulate metabolism
- Sulfur: aids vitamin B absorption and liver function
- Vitamin B12 (cobalamin): vital for producing red blood cells
- Vitamin E (tocopherol): fights off free radicals that can cause tissue and cellular damage and may lead to cancer
- Zinc: keeps your immune system in top form and helps your body convert food into energy
- Phosphorus: important for healthy bones and teeth
Beyond Traditional Addiction Treatment
In addition to our standard addiction treatment services, we offer complimentary therapies, wellness programs, and recreational activities. To learn more, call today: 800-761-7575.